I love chili. So, now that fall is here, it’s time to make a big pot. Chili is a versatile stew that can be made slightly different every time and can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Put it on top of hot dogs, spaghetti or polenta. Make a pot pie. The possibilities are endless and delicious. Here is my base recipe for a delicious chili.
Warning: I don’t measure my spices.
Sometimes I like to add stew meat or ground Italian sausage instead of ground pork.
Sometimes I add chopped garlic , a can of corn or turn down the heat.
Whatever I decide to change, the base recipe pretty much remains the same.
One more note: I don’t add any additional salt.
What do you like to add to your homemade chili?
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with habaneros or jalapenos (drained)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans in spicy chili sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 serrano peppers, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 Anaheim peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. canola oil
- Cheddar cheese and crackers
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Ingredients (to taste):
- 2 tbsps. Chili powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Hot paprika
- 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- Chop onions and peppers.
- Add canola oil to large pot and turn on low-medium heat. Wait for oil to heat up, then add onions and peppers.
- Saute onions and peppers until onions are translucent.
- Add chili seasoning spices to taste and stir/mix for about two minutes. I don't measure my spices, but the majority of your mix should be chili powder, followed by cumin then equal parts of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper. Remember: this is all to taste. If you think it needs more chili powder, add it. If you can't handle that much heat, the cayenne can be optional.
- Open cans of beans, chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce and add to large pot.
- Cook meat, drain and add to pot. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Keep heat for large pot on low-medium heat and let everything simmer for a couple hours, stirring occasionally - the longer the better.
- Spoon into bowl and top with cheese and crackers.