Author: I Run for Bacon
Serves: 2 - 4
- 1 lb. Ground Beef, Veal, Pork (1/3 lb. each)
- 1 - 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Freshly-Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Pinch of onion powder
- Cayenne Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes to taste (how spicy do you like it?!)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (DeLallo Tomato and Basil Sauce was used for the pictured sub)
- 4 freshly-baked sausage/hoagie rolls
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees.
- Take out large baking sheet. Place sheet of aluminum foil on baking sheet.
- In medium bowl, add meats, eggs and ¼ cup breadcrumbs.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper.
- For red pepper flakes, add enough to see flakes throughout meat (or to preference).
- Use garlic press to add garlic.
- Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Roll meat into 1 in. balls and place on baking sheet. Makes about 14-18 meatballs.
- Sprinkle additional cayenne pepper on meatballs before inserting baking sheet into oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In medium pot, add jar of tomato sauce.
- Remove sheet from oven. Place meatballs in sauce and cook on low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place meatballs in sausage buns and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Notes: Meatballs turn out best when you season to your taste preferences (and I like it spicy)! Another suggestion: replace the beef portion with ground turkey.
Show this post some love! Leave a comment!